Another successful Sumofale draft is in the books, hangovers be damned! Looking back on my team, I do think I could’ve used some of those brain cells I destroyed on Saturday night to draft a better team. Below you’ll find everyone’s team in order of release date, as well as a brief analysis of their apparent draft strategy. Sadly, I was not on top of my game and left out Only God Forgives (I blame movieinsider.com and their summer movies list being incomplete), plus I didn’t keep track of the overall draft order, though I actually like the teams being in order of release date. So I apologize. I’m still working out the kinks. I think the omission of Only God Forgives will end up not being a big deal. Drive only made $35 million. OGF* is the same director, star and, most importantly, the same limited release (also the same cringe-wothy violence).
*Uh oh, OGF was kinda fun to use, this might be a big deal.
- Now You See Me (May 31)
- The Internship (June 7)
- Man of Steel (June 14)
- Turbo (July 17)
- Girl Most Likely (July 19)
- Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (August 16)
- The World’s End (August 23)
- Alternate: Stuck in Love (June 14)
Apparent Draft Strategy: Diversify. Fan Boys? Check (Man of Steel, The World’s End). 20-something year old boys? Check (The Internship). Kids? Check (Turbo). Young Adults? Check (Percy Jackson). Kristen Wiig? Check (Girl Most Likely).
- Star Trek: Into Darkness (May 17)
- EPIC (May 24)
- The Purge (May 31)
- This is the End (June 12)
- The Way, Way Back (July 5)
- The Smurfs 2 (July 31)
- The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (August 23)
- Alternate: Byzantium (June 21)
Apparent Draft Strategy: Drafting with my heart and not my brain. Star Trek:Into Darkness is not going to do as well as Iron Man 3, the EPIC trailer got me from the first time I saw it (in my defense I’m pretty sure you could score the That’s My Boy trailer with that Snow Patrol song and I’d want to see it.), and Sam Rockwell is awesome. Smurfs 2 was not in my heart, however. That one was calculated.
- Iron Man 3 (May 3)
- The Great Gatsby (May 10)
- The East (May 31)
- The Bling Ring (June 14)
- Kick Ass 2 (August 16)
- The To-Do List (August 16)
- Ain’t Them Bodies Saints (August 16)
- Alternate: Generation Um… (May 3)
Apparent Draft Strategy: “I’m just picking movies I wanna see!” Aside from Iron Man 3, I feel like Liz’s Team is a very good representation of her tastes. It just needs a bad 80’s horror movie and it would be complete.
- The Hangover: Part III (May 24)
- The Heat (June 28)
- The Conjuring (July 19)
- 2 Guns (August 2)
- Elysium (August 9)
- We’re the Millers (August 9)
- You’re Next (August 23)
- Alternate: Erased (May 10)
Apparent Draft Strategy: Buddy action-comedies and horror. And smart science fiction vehicles starring Matt Damon.
- Aftershock (May 10)
- Penguins 3D (May 24)
- After Earth (June 7)
- Much Ado About Nothing (June 7)
- World War Z (June 21)
- Pacific Rim (July 12)
- 300: Rise of an Empire (August 2)
- Alternate: Lovelace (June 28)
Apparent Draft Strategy: High risk, high reward. After Earth, World War Z, and Pacific Rim (even 300:Rise of an Empire to a lesser degree) all have potential to be box office smashes. They also have potential to be really, really terrible. Sean’s backup plan is flawless however, because everyone loves Joss Whedon and penguins.
- Tyler Perry Presents Peeples (May 10)
- The English Teacher (May 17)
- Fast and Furious 6 (May 24)
- White House Down (June 21)
- Grown-Ups 2 (July 12)
- Red 2 (July 19)
- The Wolverine (July 26)
- Alternate: Before Midnight (May 24)
Apparent Draft Strategy: The Rock, Channing Tatum, and Tyler Perry. Then just fill in the holes as needed.
- Monsters University (June 21)
- Despicable Me 2 (July 3)
- Lone Ranger (July 3)
- Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain (July 4)
- R.I.P.D. (July 19)
- Blue Jasmine (July 26)
- Disney’s Planes (August 9)
- Alternate: Metallica Through The Never (August 9)
Apparent Draft Strategy: Load up on kids movies.
Sumofale guys. I’ll be back later in the week with the first Coming Attractions preview of the summer for Iron Man 3.