Here’s what we’ve got coming out this weekend…
White House Down (Danielle)
We can calculate the box office score of White House Down, WHD, by using the equation:
WHD = 1/2 DH + ( OHF * SM + (0.1*( (CT + Emm)/2) ) / ( (RT + MC)/2 ) * JFB
- DH = Die Hard, which made $83 million, because it’s pretty much Die Hard in the White House.
- OHF = Olympus Has Fallen, which made $98.6 million, because they’re basically the same movie.
- SM = The Same Movie constant, 1.43. calculated by taking the ratio of Armageddon to Deep Impact ($201 million: $140 million)
- CT = the amount of money Channing Tatum‘s last 10 (major) movies have averaged, which is $84.5 million
- Emm = Director Roland Emmerich‘s (Independence Day, 2012) average movie gross, $124 million
- RT = Rotten Tomatoes score, 50.
- MC = MetaCritic score 51.
- JFB = The Jamie Foxx as President of the United States believability factor, which is equal to 22%.
So by my calculations… This movie stands to make… umm, no that’s not right at all. Hmmm… it turns out you can’t just make up math!
Prediction: Reviews make it sounds like stupid fun, but for as much fun as it looks, I don’t think its a box office smash like the movies of the last couple weekends. $40 million. $155 million total.
The Heat (Tanya)
When, I saw the first trailer for this I thought it looked pretty bad. But then I saw the red-band trailer (above) and changed my tune. It actually looks pretty funny. Plus, Melissa McCarthy is awesome. I just wish it didn’t take place in Boston (bad accent alert!).
This movie reminded me a lot of 21 Jump Street. That movie looked like a terrible idea but, as it turned out, it was pretty good and really funny. Tanya hopes it ends up being like 21 Jump Street, since that went on to make $138 million. The other movie its drawing comparisons to is, obviously, Bridesmaids, due to the two movies having the same director, Paul Feig. That movie made $169 million, so this movie looks like The Heat is in good company.
It also turns out to be pretty good. Rotten Tomatoes has it 64% fresh (with top critics at 81%!) and MetaCritic scored it 60 out of 100 (with only 3 bad reviews out of 27). The Heat is probably going to steal all my This is The End thunder.
So let’s see, This is The End movie opened to around $33 million going up against this guy:
then Bridesmaids opened to $26 million going against Thor, and 21 Jump Street made $36 million opening in March. So it feels like the $30 million ballpark, but I’m going to add a little bit, since its summer.
Prediction: $35 million. $148 million total.
I think Monsters U wins the weekend again and World War Z has another strong weekend as well.